Privacy and Cyber Security Law Update:
Preparing for the New Wave of Consumer Rights
Scott T. Lashway
Partner and Co-Leader
Privacy and Data Security
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips,LLP
Wells Fargo Bank
Data privacy has continued to dominate headlines with record-breaking fines, sophisticated cyberattacks, and the expansion of consumer rights over personal data. Understandably, companies in all industries are struggling with the labyrinth of complex legislation that has proliferated at the state, federal and international levels. The European Union’s GDPR has been in effect for more than a year and just as companies are coming to terms with their international obligations, the comprehensive California Consumer Privacy Act is only months away from its effective date. In addition, the New York Privacy Act, currently making its way through the state legislature, promises strong rights for its residents. The panel, led by Scott Lashway, will share insights and practical advice as to how in-house counsel can navigate and comply with the maze of recent data privacy legislation.
The discussion will include:
- Updates in privacy legislation from across the country, including the California Consumer Privacy Act and the New York Privacy Act.
- Insights into judicial interpretations that may foreshadow arguments under these new and proposed laws.
- Strategic and tactical considerations for complying with new regulations and best practices for minimizing litigation risks under comprehensive privacy legislation.
- The possibility of federal privacy legislation and where data privacy compliance is heading
- What does this all mean for your cybersecurity program and controls? The panel will discuss the practical implication that these laws have on your internal control requirements as well as lessons from recent cybersecurity attacks.
This seminar qualifies for CPE credit through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
NECCA provides documentation of attendance for CE purposes.
This seminar will be live-streamed.
The Westin Waltham Boston, 70 Third Avenue, Waltham, Massachusetts (781) 290-5600
Seminar: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Reception graciously sponsored by Manatt, Phelps & Phillips,LLP
immediately following at 6:00 p.m.
NECCA, PO Box 610403, Newton Highlands, MA 02461
Telephone: (617) 965-0003 website: www.necca.com Email: email@example.com